1. Ian Thornton - Almost Heaven (Judith McNaught)
2. Mr. Darcy - Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. Michael Moscovitz - Princess Diaries (Meg Cabot)
4. Alex Fuentes - Perfect Chemistry (Simone Elkeles)
5. Sirius Black* - Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
After much deliberation, I have finally come up with my top five favorite male book characters of all time (well up to the present that is).
So what do most of themhave in common? Aside from their looks? Is it because two of them have a partner named Elizabeth? Or that two of them have photographic memory?
I was trying to analyze what makes me admire a fictional male protagonist and after reading Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry I think I understood what I look for in a hero (or rather what draws me to one):
HE HAS TO BE SMART. there.
1. Ian - Photographic memory, good in numbers, business, etc. The guy's a genius.
2. Mr. Darcy - I can't remember if I read about him being smart, but I'm guessing he is smart because how will he be THAT rich if he wasn't?
3. Michael - KYAAAA~ A computer geek and a genius. He was my crush during high school (the Princess Diaries series was our bible during that time).
4. Alex - thanks to him I realize my preference for male characters. It took his photographic memory, an A grade in chemistry and a discovery of a cure for Alzheimer's to prove it. LOL.
5. Sirius - he is a special case. I love Sirius and he would have ranked third or fourth but I decided to put him in fifth because I have this romantic inkling with the first four guys, while what I have for Padfoot is pure respect (and admiration) ;)
Aside from being smart, there are numerous reasons why I love them but it will take time to enumerate them all! haha.
We decided to try our best to get near to the LA Galaxy players (I was hoping to see AJ and thank him personally for the tickets, which was nearly impossible). We stayed outside and took in our surroundings (but more of observing where the players will emerge) but sadly there was no way for us to get near them.
We positioned ourselves somewhere near the gate, we tried to get close but the security wouldn't allow us. Luckily for us, a kind officer took pity and he let us get close. Still, the only chance for me to see them would be when the bus leaves. All that time, we were busy finding any sheet of paper to right something for AJ (so that he'll notice us). We were at a lost for quite sometime and fortunately, Ziru found one. Then Ziru (with Hannie's help) wrote/draw this:
The thumbs up sign should have been 'a thank you' but it was too long so Ziru decided to draw that. She included my name because AJ should remember it (I mentioned it on my second post).
So we positioned ourselves and I was holding the paper up high (I'm not normally like that, I'm usually reserved) and guess what? We were on the right side, and AJ and the rest of the players were on the left side of the bus! What a disappointment. LUCKILY, they were stuck in traffic so we ran our way to their side and I flashed the paper.
It took some seconds for AJ to see, some of his teammates saw it first (look at the picture above, they were looking in our direction!!) and they sorta glanced at AJ. And then he saw. And he smiled and I tried to maintain eye contact (I think I was successful). Then he did this:
Not once, not twice and not even thrice! He was doing it for at most a minute I think? While looking at our direction! He saw the thumbs up sign! And he was smiling! (the girls beside me thought the thumbs up was for them, hahaha) The bus moved and got stuck in the traffic again. I edged myself closer to his side and when I looked at him, I mouthed "thank you", I repeated it at least thrice because I thought he did not understand what I was trying to tell him, after the third try, he nodded and smiled at me. And I really thought he remembered me. LOL. But when I tweeted him:
HAHA. He did not remember! But it's okay :P At least he remembered doing the thumbs up sign and seeing his name on a piece of paper (he was probably wondering why my name was on the paper that night).
LOL. The good part about it? Some of his teammates were constantly looking at our direction! hahahahaha (or masyado lang akong nagaassume). I think it was rare for them to see someone cheering for AJ and not for Becks and Donovan :P But can you blame me? The guy made one of my wishes come true! It was more than I could ask for. As I've said, AJ dela Garza, thank you very much, you have a good heart :) And to Ate Ruzelle too, if not for you I wouldn't be this happy.
Up until now, I can't believe the amount of luck I had. Getting four tickets was enough, moreso that it came from an international player. But being interviewed? Meeting famous people? Experiencing all the kilig moments? Him tweeting me twice?
Wake me up after this dream ends.
If ever Real Madrid will come here to play, I swear I will be fully prepared. But hopefully it will not be soon, I'm just a student, they can come after my graduation! LOL
Thegame. YEEHAA for Beckham's skills! Seeing those curve balls! Nothing much I can add and I don't want to go to specifics since it was a friendly match. Still, if only there were more excitement! and they shouldn't have subbed the key players out (the crowd grew quiet after Donovan and Beckham left).
We were a few seats from the Madrigal sisters.
I was able to record Pacman exiting the stadium.
We had our pics taken with the gorgeous Marc Nelson.
I was interviewed (but I was not clearly thinking straight! haha).
The post after this would be my last and let me tell you it's the part that I want to write most about but because I'm super sleepy atm, I think it will have to wait for tomorrow xD
10. Watch an Azkals' game live: check.
This, I am thankful for Ate Ruzelle (who's currently residing in California) and LA Galaxy player AJ delaGarza.
Greatnews. A week ago, I was surprised to see Ate Ruzelle commenting on an old post of mine about my frustration over the pricy Galaxy vs. Azkals game. She asked me if I wanted tickets because she can help me get two tickets. I then learned that it will come from a player - and an LA Galaxy to boot! (AJ is the niece of her sister-in-law). Imagine my excitement?! Still I was a bit skeptic because it was too good to be true (if you were in my shoes I know you'll feel the same) - and I think I only met ate Ruzelle twice in person xD
Wednesday. Ate R. messaged me Wednesday telling me that AJ can probably get 4 tickets (but there were already two sure tix) and that I would have to wait until the game day to know where I can get it - still I'm a bit doubtful (and hopeful too!)
Gameday/Saturday. 12 noon and still no news. I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be able to watch the game (eternal sadness for me) and I was like "hello, he's an international player, how could he spare some time getting tickets when he's busy with his team". I took a bath and when I check my phone: BAM. There's a text from ate R. all the way from USA telling me to go to Makati Shangri-La to get the tickets at the concierge - 4 tickets. WOW. Imagine my HAPPINESS. AJ also told her (idk if it was to her or to his aunt) that in case any problem arose, I should tell them his room number (I know I know I know! his room number!)!!!
Shangri-la. The problem was, idk how to go to Shangri-la. HAHA. I know where it may be but I'm not confident to go alone, luckily Ziru accompanied me. We arrived at the hotel at 5pm (I was hoping that I would catch a glimpse of them and perhaps approach AJ and ask for a picture but given the lateness of our arrival, that was impossible). We proceeded to the concierge and they asked me to sign my name on this:
I blacken his room number! LOL. BUT. I assume he wrote this. He wrote my name (okay, AJ if ever you get to read this, I'm sorry for being so expressive but it meant a lot for me ^^) and I belatedly realized that our handwriting were similar.
Then here is the envelope containing our tickets:
He wrote my name again! He wrote my name twice. A footballer thought of my name (even if it was for a fleeting second), he knew Maricar T. HAHA.
Additionalthoughts. If we were right about a player having the privilege of getting two tickets, did that mean someone from his team kindly helped him get the other two (my imagination's working in overdrive)?
Four uppergrandstand tickets. We think each ticket costs about 12k (before they gave the discount) or 8k the least. 32 - 48k? asajshajhdkjashd; SEEEEE? And to think that he personally (I assume?) got these tickets himself (it was printed on the day itself) and he was supposed to be a busy man! :")
The thing is, the fourth ticket was never used. We had contacted friends to join us but somehow, something happened and they can't make it. Sobrang biglaan lang talaga. Parang nung tanghali nakaupo lang ako sa bahay tapos malalaman ko na lang na biglang may apat na ticket na pala (akala ko dalawa lang talaga nung una, hehe)? STILL.
I felt that what happened yesterday was a dream. It was surreal. I had my assumptions and expectations but never did I think that I will get more than what I asked for. I am so blessed.
I felt bad for my previous ranting post. If only I knew. Anyway, the biggest surprise for me was reading my name in a news article on abscbnnews.com.
Having my name alongside Beckham? and other big names? WOW. Plus three paragraphs dedicated to me? Can I die now?
THOUGHTS. Of course I am ecstatic to see my name on a news site but what struck me most was the one underlined. I maybe a football fan girl (in the sense that I like football hotties) but I'd like to think of myself as more than that. I love football, I have long since passed the period where all I cared for were the gorgeous ballers. The game is special - i don't have words really. And I do have high regards to girls who love football - those who really really really love it, if you know what I mean =))
The second surprise?
AJ DeLaGarza replied to my tweets. TWICE. Life couldn't get better! It's quite sweet of him to reply to me and his fans :) This is the first time that someone replied to my tweet (not that I occasionally pester players, I'm quite shy. haha)
As for the topic of our convo, I'll deal with it in a separate post :P
And why was the training of the U-23 team ignored? Because the PFF and the management team were too busy with the Azkals and preparing for
pa-pogifriendly games against Nepal and Victoria Beckham’s husband that they forgot we had a U-23 team? (cebufootball @blogspot)
- OJ Porteria - this boy has mad skills. Can you see his way of handling the ball? Superb! I like how he can safely make his way across defenders. And he is only 17! AND he hails from the same town as me! I remember a month ago (i think) he went to our town's municipal hall :P
- Neckson Leonora - one of our home grown talents. I think he's great as a defender and he did standout for me. We do have a problem in our defense but in a way Neckson did his best defending.
1) For the remaining two semesters, there are only 7 subjects left for me to take: 5 Cres subjects, Comm 110, MST and PE
2) Though I have enlisted 6 subjects, only three of those are truly needed. We are only allowed three comm res subjects (So CRes 197 has to go) per sem.
3) Although I'm a priority now, I was not able to get an MST subject. I need to have one this coming sem to lighten my load for the last one, and I can not go less than 5 subjects this sem, because of academic reasons (and my scholarship won't permit it)
4) Comm 110. I NEED TO ENLIST IN ONE like now. I have prepared myself to take it even if entails having Avceilla as the prof, BUT why is it that the only class available is in conflict with my Thesis proposal class?????
5) The sole consolation for me is that I got JUDO for PE! yay. Finally, I can complete my PE requirements.
6) I enlisted Span 11 and/or German 10 just in case I wouldn't be able to attain the minimum load units.
Out of the 6 classes I got, only the CRes subjects are of use.
Hopefully, a new section for Comm 110 will be opened, actually it is necessary to open one.
I need an MST subject.
So technically, I only got 9 units = PILA na naman.
On learning foreign languages
One of my interests in life is to learn different languages. I have this dream of learning at least five languages (was inspired by Rizal). I can understand a bit of Korean and Japanese. I had taken beginner course in Spanish and Italian and if ever I decided to take German 10, that would be my fifth. LOL.
Reasons why I am interested/why I decided to learn the particular language
1) Japanese - there was a time when all I did was to watch anime and japanese dramas. This led to me learning katakana/hiragana (which I readily forgot after a month) and to become familiar with some words and phrases
2) Korean - the effect of KPOP and Korean dramas. Learning Hangeul is easier than learning Japanese. Really. I think I'm more knowledgeable in Korean than Japanese (thanks to Arirang too!)
3) Italian - the result of not getting Korean 10. HAHA. No particular reason for learning it but can I just say that learning Italian was fun? Bellissima.
4) Spanish - Sergio Ramos, La Furia Roja and Football. Out of all the languages, I love Spanish the most. Probably because I was so into football during the time that I was studying it.
5) German - I think I'll pick German 10 instead of Span 11. Reason? Mesut Ozil. HAHAHAHAHA and isn't it nice to hear ich, ich, ich.
I can not get away from my fan girl self. I think more than Rizal's influence, my fan girl heart motivated me to study languages. JAJAJAJA. But if I were to choose a second course, I think I'd choose Linguistics ^_________________^ And I'd major in European languages.
I just love Jaejoong's voice, there's this distinct thing in it that will pull you in. In this song, JJ and Yoochun's voices blended so well it almost made my ears cry in happiness (lol). I will never get tired listening to this for it gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling like there's nothing to worry about. And I absolutely adore their smiles and the look they gave each other =P
p.s. Almost all of Dong Bang's Japanese songs are fabulous.
Let me tell you about what I felt while this was all happening (I didn't watch it live, was able to watch it a day after it happened).
Ate Dylan posted on my wall about Real Madrid's 6 yellows and 2 red cards. Never in my wildest dream did I expect Mesut Ozil to receive a red card. NEVER. AS IN NEVER.
With five minutes left in the game, I was wondering "why are there no red cards yet", truth be told, I'm already expecting Marcelo or Pepe or Sergio to receive one.
So when Marcelo received one for that foul on Cesc (oh my poor Cescy), I was not surprised. Then the outbreak occurred. I saw Mesut joining in the rumble, I was a bit shocked to say the least 'coz he was there (and a bit proud 'coz he was defending his club and teammates!).
* in his stay in Real Madrid, he never got involved in fights, nor did he have a major say in any decision by the ref
* part of it, I think is because he can't speak and understand Spanish that well yet
* a large part is because, he's BAMBI. He never gets angry, he rarely complains, he's always calm and he's a bit shy. I will not be surprised if the classy Xabi gets yellow carded but if you tell me that Ozi got a yellow, I will treat it as a joke.
and then this happened:
It happened so fast. In the beginning I can see Ozil among the crowd, the next second the cameras were focusing on him. Even they knew how IMPORTANT seeing Ozi's wrath was.
Everyone (I'm pretty sure) became afraid of seeing him like that (is it the turkish blood-german mentality kicking in? Imagine Hitler and the Ottoman Turks' blood pulsating in his veins). Even the referees had to restrain him. It was sweet of Sami to try to pacify his friend. And Marcelo too :)
He became agitated when David Villa slapped him. I don't want to blame anybody but to make him THAT angry? DAMN. REAL DAMN. If only looks and words can kill) There are "rumors" circulating around that Villa said something offensive to him and now people are taking sides, even the issue of religion has been brought up (btw, I think he is in fasting mode). I do hope everything will be sorted out.
The thing is, do you know how I felt right after seeing Bambi's temper? My fingers began to shake, as in literally shake, I guess his anger reached my heart. Earlier in the first half, I was thinking about how I never heard Bambi receiving a yellow card in a game and I was wondering what would make him blow up. I clearly got my answer :|
Funny how before joining Real Madrid, Ozil's dream team was Barcelona. Imagine how happy I am seeing him in a RMA shirt and caring for his team! I can not wait for the next El Clasico in December!
p.s. Mou did his own mischievous act, poking the eye of Barca's assistant coach, Tito Vilanova (he received a spanking in return but managed to smile it all off).
and I can almost imagine unamadridista's post: In case you missed it: The Mesut Ozil edition
Since this is an Ozil post, I learned from una that it all started when Villa pushed Ozil, afterwhich Valdes hit him and then that was when Villa slapped him (and said some insults too). Imagine if you were Ozil, how would you feel? Ozil only went there to help Higuain (I read this on twitter so it is not that accurate) or some of his teammates.
Like I can't even remember the last time my mother did that (perhaps when I was a little kid?), but last night, I woke up when I felt something being put on top of me and then I saw my mom with my blanket :)
Give me a September that's free of worries, free of Acads and free of papers~~ LALALA.
I wish it will be October soon. ...for sembreak to come. This sem is proving to be a difficult one :|
* CRES 197 (most demanding subject! I swear, haha)
* CRes 165 (good luck on our class endeavor, good luck to us Data Analysis team)
* Anthro 187 Research Proposal
* PI report and exams
Sorry for the video quality (some parts are pixelated, idk why) and for the lack of creativity (I'm tooooo lazy to study Vegas tuts :D)
It was also the day when I was captivated by Sergio Ramos
Time flew by so fast right? From a noob fan, I can say that I am now a bit more knowledgeable about football. I CAN UNDERSTAND CLUB LOYALTY and I know more players as compared to before (also the rules).
I think my love for football will continue on as long as I live :) Only three more years and we'll get to witness it in Brazil ;)